Monday, October 15, 2012

More mountain adventures

Tonight is my last evening in the Pyrenees, before I head to Barcelona tomorrow.

I've done some great hikes and sightseeing lately, so I thought I'd add a few photos.

Last Friday, I visited the Castle of Foix. It has three tours, each built in a different century using different building methods. The earliest origins go back to around 1000 CE, with the tour serving as a defensive outpost and the later towers being added as the regional counts expanded their territories and riches.  You can see the castle perched on the hill over the town, along with views from the top of the central (square) tower.






Saturday morning, I hiked up -- and I mean up, as in vertically -- to the Tour de Montorgueil, a relic of a defensive outpost, built in the 12th century or even earlier. See below for the views over the Saurat valley from the top of my hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment