Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cross-cultural mysteries

I've been in France almost a month now, and a few patterns have emerged, of differences & mysteries from my Canadian eyes.

First mystery: how are there so few overweight people in a country where chocolate seems to be a food group, "cheese" is a regular course in a meal and there are bakeries on literally every block? A working hypothesis: for a least quite a few French people, smoking and drinking wine are the activities that fill social time, with food being quality food that is eaten at meal-time. On a number of social occasions, I've looked around and thought, "where are the snacks?" -- not necessarily because I was very hungry -- just because, in a similar situation at home, there would be chips & dip, cookies, etc. laid out.   On the other hand, sometimes I have felt quite hungry -- for example, at 5:30 or 6pm, when I'm used to eating dinner, but dinner is the farthest thing from everyone else's mind! While 7:30 or 8 might be a normal time for the evening meal in France, it's apparently 9pm in Spain, where I'm headed later this month. I think I'll have to plan on an early evening snack routine!



Second mystery: what are the small circular buttons inside of the larger circular buttons on the top of toilet bowls? I had an inkling of the idea, which was confirmed in one "W.C." with a helpful sign -- it's a water conservation method -- small button when just a small flush is neated; big button for a more substantial flush of water. Makes good sense, really! I've noticed quite a few similar energy-efficiency measures in France. On the roads, there are noticeablely smaller cars, on average, while many public spaces have automatic motion-detection lights installed, so the lights automatically turn off as well.

Third mystery: this one is about Canada. How can we have allowed our cities to be built so the automobile has such dominance? I love my car and I love to drive, but really, French people mostly also own cars and yet they haven't let cars shape the way that the cities are built to such a dramatic effect. Or maybe I just haven't spent enough (?) time in French suburban areas. In any case, I've been so impressed by the pedestrian life in various cities I've visited. Sidewalks are always busy with people -- often busier than the adjacent roadways. Quite a few roadways are car-free, at least in tourist areas. Terrasses outside cafes face have rows of tables facing toward the sidewalk and street, so people can observe the passersby. And bikes certainly seem to be more commonly used for transportation -- after spending a couple days in Toulouse recently, I think it was the second-most bicycle-intense city I've ever visited, after Amsterdam!


In any case, despite a few minor mysteries I've been pondering, my travels have continued on smoothly. I had a lovely visit with the brother and sister-in-law of my mother's husband (lost yet?). Jacques and Yvette showed me around their seaside village between Marseille and Toulon, and treated me to a delicious home-cooked, yet gourmet, meal. And I was very impressed by the green spaces and student "vibe" in Toulouse -- a city I would be happy to visit again.



Now, I've settled in for two weeks doing a "help-exchange" (like WOOFing: see helpx.net) with a family in the Pyrenees, after a week or so of whirlwind tourism. It's quiet here.... all you hear is the sheeps' bells on the nearby hillsides, the roosters crowing from the backyard and the church bell ringing next door. I'm staying with a lovely British family; the whole valley seems to have lots of English people around.

More to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment