Thursday, September 20, 2012

Le temps des vendages

The last week has been an immersion into harvest season at an organic vineyard and winery in the Beaujolais region of France. The first day, I had serious doubts about whether I would be able to handle the work for the two weeks I had arranged through the WOOFing program.

But after several days here, I can say that I have received such a warm welcome that I feel very privileged to be included in this yearly ritual. It is quite the experience. My hosts are a couple with a young son; however, there have been between eight and twenty people working and sharing meals together. It is such a tradition in this area that friends from across France have arrived for weekend work-bees --and several of the bunch speifically time their vacations to be able to join in.

Although cutting and harvesting grapes for most of the day isn't in itself something I find all that fun, there are perks! The rolling hills and quiet, the amazing night sky, the great compan, French practice, and of course; the food! We have shared in cooking on the quieter days a hours and enjoyed prepared gourmet food on the busy weekend. And even in the field, our snacks are quiet classy: wine, coffee, bread from the local bakery, dark chocolate and sometimes even mutiple varieties of cheese!

I am here for another week and, while I have no plans to move to a farm myself, it has been such an experience! Next post, I will include photos of the views and some of my new activities -- including crushing grapes by foot.

1 comment: